2/14/10

Flowers

This post was supposed to go out while I was away during the week, so I apologize for its being a little late.

Valentines Day is approaching. The day is traditionally filled with chocolates, candy, flowers, and a fancy restaurant, right? Well, there are so many flowers out there, I knew there had to be more than the traditional "white daisies mean innocence," "pink roses mean friendship" and "red and white roses together mean unity."

I got to thinking, what do other flowers mean? Then I stumbled across this website, apparently I wasn't the only one with that question. This person did a bunch of research and has developed a list of the bouquets they would make if they were a florist. As you read it you will see that they have something to fit EVERY kind of relationship.

1. We should just be friends:
Rose, leaf: You may hope
Rose, yellow: Joy, friendship
Carnation, striped: Refusal: No; "sorry I can't be with you"

2. I love you for your money:
Alstroemeria: Wealth, prosperity, fortune
Apple blossoms: Good fortune
Hollyhock: Ambition, fruitfulness
Lily: Majesty, wealth
Orange, mock: Deceit
Poppy, yellow: Wealth, success

3. I'm basically like 99% of the other guys out there:
Larkspur: Fickleness
Narcissus: Egotism, conceit, self love, self admiration
Orange, mock: Deceit
Rose, coral: Desire
Tulip: Perfect lover (he gives this part of the bouquet to himself)
Eremurus: Endurance (he may overcompensate with this flower)

4. I'm stalking you:
Asparagus fern: Fascination
Begonia: Beware
Camellia, pink: Longing for you
Dahlia: Instability
Euphorbia: Persistence
Gloxina: Love at first sight
Hyacinth, white: Loveliness
Hyacinth, yellow: Jealousy
Marigold, pot: Grief, despair
Monkshood: Beware, a deadly foe is near, danger
Oleander: Caution
Primrose: I can't live without you
Rhododendron: Danger, caution

5. I screwed up:
Hyacinth, Purple: I am sorry
Snapdragon: Deception
Bittersweet: Truth
Camellia, white: You're adorable
Geranium: Stupidity

6. I'm not so into you:
Lily, yellow: I'm walking on air, false
Orange, mock: Deceit

7. I'm not going to put out:
Hydrangea: Frigidity
Iris, white: Purity
Rose, white: Innocence, purity, secrecy
Acacia: Concealed love, chaste love
Rose, white, dried: Death is preferable to loss of virtue

8. I have an Oedipal Complex:
Carnation, pink: Mother's love
Moss: Maternal love, charity

3 comments:

Appleseed Gifts said...

Hah!!! Good info to know!
Ginger
Appleseed Gifts

Helena said...

ha, I like the "I'm stalking you" section

Amber said...

Lol! Too funny, 'I love you for your money' :) You might be getting a interesting flower arrangement for you birthday (good luck finding out what it means!)